Wednesday, November 29, 2006

I have a secret.

I have a secret.
I have a secret I'd like to tell.

I can't listen to Christmas music.
I have trouble singing it too.

No, it's not that I don't like it, in fact I love the Christmas music that exults Christ's birth.
It's the old standards I like, not new stuff.

Since I've been saved I haven’t been able to watch a Charlie Brown Christmas without tearing up or getting emotional with Linus tells the true meaning of Christmas.
The same thing happens when I try to sing or listen to certain Christmas songs. I tear up and get emotional. The story why is below.

I guess it's the power of God, the awesomeness of Jesus’ birth, the moving of the Spirit.
The fact that God became a man, sacrificed His life for mine, and died on a cross and took my sin so that I would be saved through Him by faith.

I've heard the true date of Jesus’ birth is sometime around October - December. The Hebrew calendar changes now and then so it isn't the same as the normal calendar. I guess the 25th was picked to overshadow the pagan holidays around the same time. I think that they did that for a few holidays. The day belongs to Jesus though. It's a day to focus on God's free gift to us for salvation. It's not about Santa, presents, decorated trees, and lights. It's become way to commercial, so far off of the TRUE meaning of why we celebrate that day. Basically taking Christ out of Christmas. Happy Holidays has replaced it or X-mas. sick. That's ok. They can have their X-mas, or whatever they want call it. I'll have Christmas, even if there is no tree, gifts, lights, food or whatever. I have Jesus. I love Jesus, and I'll take a day, or even every day to thank the Father for sending us Jesus. All the secular people can take it all away from the media, stores, government, work, whatever, I still have Jesus. I'll worship Him. It's not about all the "stuff"; Christmas is about Celebrating Jesus birth. That simple.

-An excerpt from A Charlie Brown Christmas-

Charlie Brown - "Isn't there anyone out there who can tell me what Christmas is all about?"
Linus - "Sure, Charlie Brown, I can tell you. Lights, please."

"And there were in the same country shepherds abiding in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And, lo, the angel of the Lord came upon them, and the glory of the Lord shone round about them: and they were sore afraid. And the angel said unto them, Fear not: for, behold, I bring you good tidings of great joy, which shall be to all people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, which is Christ the Lord. And this shall be a sign unto you; Ye shall find the babe wrapped in swaddling clothes, lying in a manger. And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God, and saying, Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men."

That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie brown."

(Luke 2:8-14 KJV)

Most of the reason for being emotional comes around half a year before I was saved. God had started really working in my life, my life was changing, I knew it. I had done some stuff I wasn't proud of, and it was going to get worse in a few days. Take a trip back to December 2000.

While things in my life were changing a very good friend of mine asked me if I wanted to go to this Christmas story thing at the Xcel. Thinking it would be a good time just to get out of the house, I said I’d go. It was my friend, his mom and her boyfriend (now her husband), his brother and sister in-law. We ate at Timber Lodge and then went to the show. I had no idea what the show was really about, I was hanging out with friends. I was making fun of the whole thing as a front with one of the people who was against God, but inside I knew better.

It was a show with music, a little drama, kind of cheesy at the time… those Christians you know…lol. This place was packed. People everywhere.
There was an intermission and I talked and sat around but then the real stuff started to happen.
They started to sing the classic Christmas songs, the songs that exult Jesus.

Then,
Something happened.
There was something going on.
Me being a skeptical person, and from being a druid, there was something going on, something I didn’t know about.
Everyone around had their hands lifted high to God.
They were all singing.
There was this Presence in the place.
I could feel it.
It was the Holy Spirit! He was moving though that place in such a VERY powerful way.

I tried to sing the songs, and I started to cry. Tears streamed down my face.
This was a very, very real touch from God. There was nothing that could explain this.
God was there. He showed me something I’d never felt before.
It was so awesome. I don’t think I led on to anything that happened that night. I tried to cover it.
I don’t remember parts of that night, but I know the important parts, and I do tell this story to some people about the Power of God.

I was unsaved and did not know God. He used people, circumstances and this event and more to get me ready. He has been leading my whole life, without me knowing.
He showed me His power, let me feel his presence, and see a ton of believers united in worship to the Most High, while I did not know Him. So Awesome! I love God.

Six Months later, and after a lot of junk and changes I was saved. I had started to read the word, meet with other believers, and spending time with God. I started to follow Jesus and haven’t looked back. I don’t want to be in that place I was, or where I was heading.

I thank God for all that he has done, and I’m so grateful that He sent His son to die for me.
That powerful moment changed my life and I hope I never forget about it.

To this day, I can’t sing those songs without crying or getting emotional.
So that is my secret.

I wish you all a very happy Christmas season.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home